Monday, November 5, 2007

Sembreak Bookfest

I was able to finish reading a total of six books during the sem break. one I finished before I went to Magallon and the five when I was in Magallon for a week. Here are the books.

Stainless Longganisa by Bob Ong. This is my favorite Bob Ong book, so far. It's not as funny as ABNKKBSNPLAko or as boring as Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas, but I think this was written for me. LOL. Seriously, this is a funny book, but it does not fail to deliver its message -- Never be afraid to write. Now you know why I think this was written for me. haha

Coraline by Neil Gaiman. This book brings me back to my childhood, not because it is a children's book, but because it's sort of Neil Gaiman's version of Alice in Wonderland. A door, a key, a cat -- do they ring a bell? It's almost as disturbing as Alice in Wonderland. Almost because it did not freak me out the same way Alice in Wonderland did. But it must also be because I'm already 19. :]

Saving My First Kiss by Lisa Velthouse. I thought it was another boring Christian book i made a mistake of buying. I was wrong. After reading the first few pages, I couldn't put down the book anymore. My brother kept sighing everytime he saw (or heard) me giggling alone in one corner. This is a kilig book about waiting for the person God has prepared for you and you alone. PS: The author was 20 when she wrote the book and confessed that she never had a boyfriend or suitors all her life. hmmmm... Relate. hahaha.

The 500 People You Meet In Hell by Jessica Zafra. This book makes me wish I had an ex who cheated on me then accused me of cheating on him, so when he dies and goes to hell, he can watch me have dinner with--hold your breath--JOHNNY DEPP (now scream!) while he's being roasted with an apple in his mouth. *evil laugh*

Twisted 6 by Jessica Zafra. Angst. This book is full of it. Jessica Zafra is not just sarcastic and cynical in this book. There's hardly anything that pleases this woman, except perhaps the movie "Tuhog" which she chose over Pay It Forward, saying the latter was "worth the price of admission"; She got her ticket for free. I mean, who gets mad because people want to watch a film about giving random acts of kindness? Don't get me wrong, though. This is a good book. It's entertaining just as long as you don't read it in one sitting, in which case you'll end up with so much anger in your heart.

Red Sea Rules by Robert Morgan. Back in high school, I can say that that I had a strong relationship with God, but when college started, my relationship with God weakened. Because unlike in high school where I was a member of the Campus Peer Ministry and I attended the mass in La Salle every Saturday, in college I did not join any similar organization and (though I hate to admit) I did not attend the mass regularly anymore. So I thought I need to return to God and ought to read something Christian. I found this book somewhere at home (It's my mom's actually). It's written by an american pastor. It tells us that "the same God who led us in will lead us out". It provides 10 rules in dealing with life's difficulties. My favorite rules (is there such a thing as favorite rule?) are: RULE # 1: Realize that God means for you to be where you are and RULE # 4: Pray.

I'm currently reading...

The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. I bought this book 2 years ago. January 31, 2005 according to what I'd written on the cover. hehe. I was never able to finish the book because I gave it to my dad who never read it. So I took it back and started reading from page 1.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I loved the movie Pride and Prejudice, so I bought the book.

Mythology by Edith Hamilton. I was never really interested in Mythology, but I feel that I should learn about these gods and goddesses. Glad my brother bought this book.

three books at a time. sounds crazy, right? haha. But I do that all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...