Thursday, February 2, 2017

Top Ten Things I Learned In Saudi Arabia





I've learned a lot of things in three years of living in Saudi Arabia, but here are my top ten.

1. Inshallah is such a magical word.
    This has to be my favorite Arabic word. It can mean so many things, and you can use it in a variety of situations.

Are you going to the meeting? Inshallah. Is my mother OK? Inshallah. Will my mother be OK? Inshallah. Please get me a copy of the medical report. Inshallah. TRANSFER THE PATIENT NOW! Inshallah. 

"Inshallah" actually means "God willing". But it can also mean "yes", "no" or "maybe". It all depends on the situation. So, how can you be sure what the person actually means? You can never.




2. Being fluent in English is an advantage, but it isn't everything.
    I’ve worked with people of different nationalities—Indians, Egyptians, Syrians, Lebanese, Saudis, Pakistanis, Jordanians, etc.—and some of them, to be honest, are not that fluent in English. They are not as particular as some of us with grammar or pronunciation, but the most meaningful conversations I’ve had in my three years were with some of them.

3. Learning Arabic is essential.
    Some Saudis, especially those who are well-educated, can speak English nowadays, but most people still can’t.

4. I have learned to be more tolerant and open-minded.
    Coming from different cultures, and backgrounds, not everyone can have the same opinion as me. I have come to see things in different perspectives, and tried to understand many things from another person’s point of view without judging. I have become more tolerant of other people’s beliefs, their choices, and attitude. However, it doesn’t always mean I agree with everything.

5. Ground floor doesn’t always mean the same thing as First Floor.
Buildings here have a Ground Floor, and then comes the First floor, which should have been referred to as the second floor in other countries. I was confused when I first took an elevator. I wanted to go to the third floor, but the elevator only had the buttons G, 1 and 2.

6. It’s actually possible to have parties in KSA.
I came here thinking parties are not allowed at all. Surprise! Even Saudis party hard. Ideally, there should be gender segregation, though. But as long as mama and baba or the muttawa don’t find out, well…. Some rules can be broken.

7. The abaya can be your bestfriend or your enemy.
On days that you don’t feel like dressing up, the abaya is heaven sent. However, on days when you want to be more fashionable, it can get in the way.




8. Arabs have trouble differentiating between the “b” and “p” sound.
So…Did he actually mean CPR or CBR? Police or bullies?

9. Saudi women cannot make health care decisions.
A female Saudi patient cannot sign a consent related to her care even if she is physically and mentally capable. It has to be the closest male relative who should make the decision.

That being said….

10. Not all Saudi women are oppressed or feel that they are oppressed.
I’ve seen Saudi women break stereotypes, and are happy with the culture that they have. Some don’t equate wearing the abaya to oppression of their rights. Some actually enjoy their dependence on their male relatives.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...