Monday, April 16, 2012

I Sometimes Forget I Was Once A Journalist


I used to be a campus journalist for our grade school and high school publications (The Green Beacon, and Crossroads, respectively). I was also, for a short time, a news writer for the USLS school publication, The Spectrum. When I look back to my campus journalist days, I see myself really enjoying every article I write, and dreaming of becoming a famous writer someday. From seventh to eleventh grade, all I ever wanted was to win in the writing conferences held every year.

I wrote several articles during my stint as a campus writer, but this editorial here is one of the most special. It was my entry for the Editorial Writing Category during the Division Schools Press Conference 2005. It won me my first ever FIRST PLACE in the DSPC. :)


Greater Than the Other?

Year 2005 will leave a great mark on the hearts of the Bacoleños. For one reason that the much-awaited SEA Games is set to be held in the Philippines with some of the events to be hosted by Bacolod.

With too much excitement, we have forgotten something very dear to our hearts as people of Bacolod. Have we realized that lesser preparations are being made for our Masskara Celebration this year? The attention of the people is more focused on the SEA Games, or so it seems.

Compared to previous years, fewer advertisements about the Masskara Celebration in October can be seen around Bacolod or even on our local television networks. Formerly, as September draws near, Bacolod already teems with posters and commercials about the Masskara. How come this year we do not see them yet?

Furthermore, the usual enthusiasm of the Bacoleños for our mardi gras is drowned by our ebullience for the SEA Games. A big number talk about volunteering for the SEA Games, but very few can be heard mentioning the Masskara at all.

To host the SEA Games, yes, is a once in a lifetime opportunity for our country, much more for our city, but it is not all that there is. It has affected our sense of patronizing what is really ours.

Lest we forget, the Masskara celebration proves to the whole world our flexibility as Bacoleños. It shows the rest of the nations how we can still smile amidst all the crises bombarded to us.

This is not the best time to forget our identity in exchange for even the greatest international event.

2 comments:

  1. You won with this but how come we never read it? You will always be one of the great writers I know in our batch (that's why I'm not that at ease showing you the things I write)! Congratulations with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never got to read it, because it was submitted to the contest committee, and they never release copies of it. Haha. But I had my draft with me. :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...